Tuesday, April 9, 2013

MOCCA & DDLL: comics, cards, prints, & zines- oh my!

Hey all! I wanted to take a minute to talk up all the comics, cards, prints, and zines I got at DDLL and MOCCA this year.  DDLL remains one of my favorite things across all possible categories of things. The new location was wonderful - and actually allowed some drawing to happen!- and big thanks to Lucy Knisley for organizing it in the middle of her new book tour, along with Alisa Harris and Tea!


L-R and top-bottom, DDLL goodies are: 

Kaitlin Sullivan- love the tetris motif!
Alisa Harris made a cute and informative mini! Cooking up Comics is excellent & highly recommended.
Ashley Austin drew this card on the spot based on a two-word prompt!
Katie McDermott has an awesome website URL and makes even more awesome illustrations.
Dre Grigoropol is sorely missed in Philly. 
Rel made a clever little mini with a neat twist!
Rebekka Dunlap's zine Waterslide is lovely and deserves a few readings.
Rebecca Mock is killing it with her illustrations (and mentoring a whole host of brilliant MICA students while at it)! Her tiny chewable zine was excellent for getting folks to make fun faces. Check her work out!
Kelsey Sunday's work is full of lovely palettes and neat game assets!
Michelle's card doubles as a cool sticker!
Luca is a rockin animator and possessor of a host of hamster cards.
Elise Dinkelaker does wonderful things with ink.
Bridget Gibson is making some amazing creature (and everything else!) illustrations.
Maugerite Dabaie has a really gorgeous comic going on that you should all check out.
Dirty Diamonds- I'll be sharing a table at SPX with DD editors Kelly and Claire! Now open for submissions for Issue # 4 : )
Aimee Fleck makes awesome fresh illustrations and comics!
Meg Brennan is currently making Pencil Pup, among many other wonderful things. It's delightful and terrifying and worth your time. Pencil Pup loves you! ◑‿◐
And a bonus donation sketchbook because DDLL is a worthy cause. I met a bunch of other wonderful people who had run out of trading things --a whole crew of kick-ass illustrators from MICA included-- and I can't wait for next year!

I went a little overboard at MOCCA itself on Saturday, but I'm honestly happy with everything I bought.



Women Warriors Zine, edited by Abby Boeh and Roxie Vizcarra- 100% full of amazing work by a ton of my favorite illustrators and comics folks. Should be available for purchase online soon!
Lead Paint Comics- a webcomic that makes me laugh; minicomic did the same!
Harbinger - stay tuned for a possible new URL for this comic, by Hillary Blair!
The Blacklight by Kelsey Sunday - intriguing and well-executed preview; looking forward to the rest of the comic!
Three Tales by Connie Li Chan- weird and wonderful retellings! Love the expressiveness of her drawing style.
Tomorrow and Boys with Flowers by Aimee Fleck-Aimee's comics are a treat and her zine full of drawings is wonderful, too!
Sup Kids by Noelle Stevenson - fresh & fun & friendly & generally delightful drawings! I got to meet Noelle at DDLL, too, and was very glad to do so.
Moonlight by Katie McDermott- a one-pager with a delightful surprise of a gorgeous full-page illo on the back. 
Pocket Book by Gregory Benton- a gorgeous collection of drawings from life. Love the tiny format. 
Let's Make Out by Annelise Capossela- fun accordian format and cute drawings. Check out her larger-scale color works!
Opposites Attract- a gorgeous zine collecting work from MICA's new MFA in illustration. I got to chat with Kevin and Alex about the program- thanks again!
House of Women by Sophie Goldstein- Sophie's work rules! Can't wait to read more of this one, and be sure to read Betsy and Mothership Blues as well.
Life of Luna by Meg Brennan- if you don't read Meg's comics (see: Pencil Pup, above) then you're missing out on a lot of clever, funny strange & wonderfulness!
Rockall, Part III by Amelia Onorato- no joke, this comic made me cry on the train. I think Amelia's putting together a collection of all three issues soon- buy them!
45* Dogs by Nora- super-cute little zine!
Animals with Jobs by Laura Kovalcin- funny & unexpected!
How to make strawberry milk by Milkyaway- I will never look at strawberry milk the same way.
Bug Boys 1 & 2 by Laura Knetzger- earnest, delightful, sweet, and fun. Read these!
Art Block by Chandler Moses- I laughed, I sobbed, I found my new life goal.
Freeze by Kelsey Sunday-really neat & well-drawn designs!
Between Blood & Water by Katie McDermott- another comic I very much want to read more of.
My First Time Buying Condoms, edited by Maritsa PatrinosRebecca Mock 's and Kris Mukai's might be my favorites for the moment, but they're all brilliant and make a wonderful collection! 

I also bought a couple prints, continuing on my ridiculous goal to fill a whole wall up with artwork bought from illustrators I dig:



Othello by Steen- gorgeous screenprint with brilliant colors!
Smallest Feline by Hillary Blair - Hillary let me yoink the one blue variant of this super-sweet print, but I love the orange as well!
Sleep Sleep by Nora - I love the paisley & the pale pink goat together! Thanks to the artist for solving the mystery of who made it : )

In closing: it was amazing and I want to go again right now. Can't wait for SPX this fall! : )